Press Release — Albion Alliance responds to David Cameron’s petition plans.
8th February 2010 – 13:30
David Cameron unveiled plans today during a policy speech to ensure that any petition of 100,000 people would be eligible for debate in Parliament, and any petition with 1 million signatures would result in a bill being tabled in Parliament.
The Albion Alliance see this as a welcome move on the part of the Conservatives towards a more direct form of democracy, we will not let it deflect from the work that we are doing in getting candidates to commit to a personal pledge towards filling the
democratic deficit and obtaining a vote for the public on the important issue of the UK’s relationship with the EU.
Whilst the Cameron plan may result in a debate in parliament or even a Bill raised, there is still the need for a majority of committed MP’s to sign that personal pledge to their electorate to ensure that such a Bill would be successful in its passage through parliament.
The work of the Albion Alliance will continue until such a Bill is successful.
Notes for Editors
1) The Albion Alliance was launched on November 11th 2009. The Albion Alliance pledge and website can be found at: http://albionalliance.org.uk
2) The Albion Alliance is a neutral, non-aligned campaign group dedicated to addressing the democratic deficit and in particular working to secure a referendum on the relationship between the United Kingdom and the EU within 1 year of a new parliament.
3) The Albion Alliance candidates database can be viewed at http://candidatedb.albionalliance.org.uk/
4) The Albion Alliance pledge can be signed by Candidates here http://candidatedb.albionalliance.org.uk/Candidate_Pledge.php
5) The Albion Alliance Facebook page can be viewed at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=173051144844
6) The Albion Alliance can be followed on Twitter at @Albion_Alliance
Press Enquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone +44 870 478 4195